OUR CANDLE STORY
Our founder Hope LOVES candles - who doesn't! What she doesn't love though are the migraines she gets from the scents. Wooo.. anyone who is sensitive to scents understands the struggle. Even walking by a candle store (B&BW we're looking at you!" can be enough to feel nauseous and who needs that?! Not us that's for sure.
Determined to have candles that wouldn't make her feel sick every time she lighted them, she set out to create a line of candles that can be enjoyed by everyone! Hope & the team spent over 9 months researching, developing and testing our candles. During this time we all learned A LOT about candles.
Did you know that most candles you buy in stores are made with ingredients that are harmful to your body and your environment when burned? The wax has additives, the fragrance oils are made with known carcinogens, even the wicks can be problematic. That just didn't seem right and we quickly discovered that there are safe waxes, fragrance oils and wicks that can be used by candle makers - but often they are not. They cost more money and are can be more difficult to source. NO MATTER we said, determined that we would only sell candles with safety tested and non toxic ingredients specifically sourced by our team.
So... here's what's special and unique about our candles.
We use 100% Soy Wax with no fillers or additives that has been ethically farmed in the US. We chose to use 100% soy wax for several important reasons:
• Soy wax is an 100% renewable resource and carbon neutral.
• Soy wax burns more cleanly and for a longer period of time than paraffin.
• We love the way a soy wax candle smells when it's mixed with a "clean" fragrance oil.
• Soy candles are better for the environment and your health: they are non-toxic and burn cleaner than paraffin wax. Soy wax produces ~ 90% less soot than paraffin wax. This is soot that can blacken walls, ceilings, and furniture, contaminate ventilation ductwork in your home, and most importantly, add toxic carcinogens and other toxins into the air that you breathe.
CLEAN FRAGRANCE OILS
Not only are our candles designed specifically for people who are sensitive to scent, we ONLY use fragrance oils that are designated as "clean". This is a new designation and it's not regulated so we want to make sure you know what we mean by "clean".
Our fragrance oils will never contain:
While this decision means there will be scents we can't offer we aren't willing to use products or ingredients that are known to cause cancer or other harm to people, animals and our environment.
We chose wooden wicks for our candles for a couple reasons. First they burn longer than traditional cotton wicks. We use wooden wicks that are made from 100% natural wood from Sappy Fruit Trees sustainably sourced in the USA.
They also look amazing and make an adorable, cozy crackly sound when they are burning.
Our candles are lightly scented specifically for anyone who is sensitive to scents or prefers a more subtle fragrance from their candles.
Here's a graphic to describe what we mean when we say "lightly scented". Our candles when lit will not fill a room with scent. The scent should be noticeable if you are near where the candle is burning.
HIGH QUALITY INGREDIENTS & ECO FRIENDLY MATERIALS
- Every candle vessel is reusable after cleaning. (how to below)
- Our shipping materials are made with post recycled content and are recyclable. We don't use styrofoam or plastic packaging or cushioning.
- We only use 100% ethically sourced Soy Wax with zero additives or preservatives.
- We only use safe/clean fragrance oils (see more info above)
- Local buyers can drop off their candle vessels for refills or recycling. Refills are $2.00 each and recycling your vessel earns you $3.00 off any candle purchase. (We hope to be able to eventually offer vessel refills or recycling for all our customers)